WELCOME!

I have been writing columns since 2006 for the Denver Post, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society magazine and various other publications. This blog contains all of these columns. Feel free to use the tags below to navigate.

Enjoy!


Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I recently had the privilege of interviewing legendary coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, Phil Jackson. The Lakers are in the NBA Finals this year playing against the Boston Celtics. The Lakers are known as a finesse team while the Celtics play a rougher, more physical style of basketball. In 2008, the two teams also met in the NBA Finals and the Celtics won by pushing the Lakers around. Phil wanted to avoid a similar fate in 2010 and so he turned to Mormon Church basketball players for help. Here is the transcript of my interview, which was done just before the finals started.
Me: Phil thank you for speaking with me.
Phil: My pleasure.
Me: I understand that you filmed some LDS Church basketball games and used them as an inspiration for your team. Can you explain what you did and why?
Phil: Sure. I wanted our team to be a little more physical this time against the Celtics. I have some Mormon friends who are always telling me how rough your Church basketball games are, so I sent someone to film some games here in Los Angeles. I was shocked at what I saw.
Me: How so?
Phil: Well, here are nice guys playing against friends just for fun, and I have never seen so much pushing and shoving in my life.
Me: Were you also surprised at how skilled the players were?
Phil: Actually, I was surprised at how bad they were. And the fewer skills they had, the dirtier they played. I think our guys could learn something from that. I mean, no one dared drive to the basket more than once because the risk of getting hurt was too high.
Me: What else did you learn?
Phil: Well, our team's personality is probably a lot like your Mormon teams. I imagine the kids playing in your Church leagues are basically good, honest, gentle people. But put them on the court and they turn into monsters. The Lakers players are good guys too. Sure, they have been involved with their share of assaults, drugs and shootings, but what group of young men hasn't been? My guys are nice guys just like the ones in your church leagues, but my guys need to be dirtier.
Me: Unfortunately that is true.
Phil: My favorite part in the film is where one guy is so dirty that the guy he is guarding finally says, "What is your name? I am going to report you to your bishop?" And the other guy looks at him and says "I AM the bishop!!" Classic.
Me: Did you learn anything else?
Phil: I am always worried that our guys will lose their cool and get technical fouls at inopportune times. So I showed them film of your games so they could see how to complain to the refs without getting a "T". I mean, your refs are volunteers and friends of the players. And yet they have to endure more complaining than I have ever heard. There isn't any swearing but I heard words I have never heard before. By the way, what is a "Son of Perdition?"
Me: There are some rumors going around about your connection to the LDS Church I Can I ask you about them?
Phil: I was afraid this was coming.
Me: Is it true that you are the High Priests Group Leader in the Westwood Ward?
Phil: No.
Me: Or that you are taking the missionary discussions?
Phil: No.
Me: Did you ever say the Book of Mormon was your favorite book?
Phil: No. My only connection to your church is seeing the film of some of your games. I will say, however, that if we win the NBA championship it will be in large part due to watching Church Ball.
Me: So as a show of appreciation, can we send the missionaries to see you?
Phil: Uh, no. How about I go see one of those Twilight movies instead?
Me: Sure. Thanks for talking to me.
Phil: You're welcome.

No comments: